Monday, November 15, 2010

Food Experience--Ysabelle



For my food experience I made the last recipe in the book A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from my Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg. It was "the winning our hearts and mind cake, or our wedding cake". I'm unsure if I made it completely right, but it was delicious either way. I bought an oven temperature gauge to see if me oven is running accurately which it wasn't as she says in her section explaining how to use the recipes in this book. My oven was running about 25 degrees too cool, so its good to know now. The recipe called for 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped finely, 1 and 3/4 sticks of unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, 5 large eggs, 1 tbsp unbleached all purpose flour, and lightly sweetened whipped cream for serving. I used an alternate chocolate that she said could be used in the introduction of the recipe, but I had to change the recipe a little bit for what was available at my house. I don't know how it was supposed to turn out, but it tasted delicious. It was in perfect timing too because it was my sister's birthday on Sunday. The icing looking part is actually whipped cream that I hand whipped and made myself and I took some liberties with adding strawberries and some of the extra chocolate chips on top. The recipe was pretty fun to make because I used a double boiler in order to melt the chocolate and the butter. The taste of the cake was almost like a brownie cake custard kind of thing but it was delicious and fun to make. It was a very dark chocolate bitter taste but the whipped cream added a sweat and creamy balance. All in all, I consider it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment