Saturday, November 6, 2010

MU Cafeteria: Behind the Scenes (Typed by Ley)

The tour was very interesting. I was amazed that the executive chef worked 70 hours a week. There is a lot of thought involved in the making of the food. I hope a new appreciation of the employees and staff comes in effect soon. I also think it's a good idea that plates are now used instead of trays because it minimizes food waste. I think the Mediterranean diet is a good idea because it introduces greek food
-Hannah


So many improvements to the whole facility! There's new technology and better appliances to improve the service of food at the dining hall. The new induction heater for example, only heats up the pans that are specially designed for it. Also the heater never burns you and only turns on once a pan is put down on it.
- Jose

I really enjoyed seeing how much effort the staff as a whole puts into making the cafe run smoothly. I always see a lot of the same employees here, and although this is their job, you can tell they really love to cook. they pay attention to details as well, making each meal as good as the next one. I also love how much food we do not waste.
-Elyssa

When we went to the kitchen and saw all the employees working, it really showed how much effort they put in the food. Also, I liked the fact that the chef said that there was improvement on how much food, and how many options. He also mentioned they use less plastic containers to serve students to use; most all of the dishes used are glass.
-Rabia

As we were wandering around, I saw cookbooks from different cultures hanging up above the main stations. It made me first wonder why there were there and whether or not the kitchen gave it out it to students. Then it annoyed me because although I personally appreciated the display of cultures, the food for me didn't reflect that. I much rather enjoy a delicious chocolate filled crepe than read about it.
-Ley

The thing that caught me a little off guard was how un-chaotic the kitchen looked when we went back there. It could have been the fact that they knew we were coming or that the chaos hadn't started yet, but with my experience in kitchens it is always chaotic in there. It made it seem like they had a very firm hold on what they needed to do and that they were prepared to do it.
-Dom

A contemporary dining and serving area with stainless steel appliances and modern backsplash found on a tiny catholic college is how I would describe the dinning hall. Chef Boots and his staff of 50 take pride in what they serve to ensure satisfaction amongst students and faculty. their menu of vegan to cobbler to sushi to lucky charms caters to Marymount diverse population. Safe to say it's Marymount's Best Kept Secret.
- Asia

The real lamps on the pillars really made me feel different. it looked nothing like the rest of Marymount. Overall, MU is pretty plain without any serious modern work but the cafeteria is top notch. I honestly thought for a second that it was somewhere else. Another thing that was new and different for me was the temperature dishes are heated on . Now I know why it is so hot at restaurants.
- Anammian

The fact that Chef Boots worked 70 hours a week AMAZED me. I mean, I can imagine running such a large kitchen would take a lot of work , but I had no idea how time consuming it was. I was also excited to learn that there were in fact, bathrooms on the floor. All year I had been waiting to go back to my dorm NOT ANYMORE! Lastly, learning about measures taken to ensure sustainability really impressed me.
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment