Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Julie and Julia - Sofie

Julie and Julia: From Sofie’s Eyes

By Sofie Scarlett

Julie Powell was a writer and loved food. In fact, her idol was Julia Child. According to Julie, Julia Child taught her how to cook. Julie had decided to cook through Julia Child’s cookbook everyday for a year and blog about it.

Personally, I give Julie a lot of credit for this. There is no way I could ever have the patience to do this. I can’t even keep up with my own blog everyday for a month, let alone a year. The cooking part I would have no problem with. I love to cook. I would gladly cook through an entire cookbook of Rachel Ray. There is no way I would blog about it. But I digress.

What I thought was interesting was that she kept going even though everyone said it was a bad idea. It seemed to me that she cared too much about what others thought of her, so it surprised me that she didn’t listen to people scoff at her. I also thought it was interesting that she got a lot of fame by doing it. At first she didn’t think anyone would read it, but soon they were sending her stuff and she was being interviewed. I would love to become famous from my blog. The only reason people read my personal blog is because I linked it to Facebook!

In Julie’s blog, her personality came forward a little bit. There’s only so much personality that can be shown in wiriting. In the movie, she seemed to be too high strung and too much of a perfectionist. Which is why I’m surprised she was about to do this for so long.

To me, one particular scene didn’t exactly stand out. A common theme did. While watching the movie, I saw how similar Julie’s life was to Julia Child’s. I’m not sure if that was actually true or just a Hollywood trick. But, I think it helped the story a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment