Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Making Mistakes--by Prof. Whitman

I'm good at that.

I've already made a mistake on this blog.  I assigned my students a couple of posts, but I forgot that I had to invite them to be authors first.  Sigh.  Some enterprising students found a way around my text-blocking error by posting comments under my "How-To" post.  Read them; you'll find recipes for some delightful college freshmen.

I hope we'll be off and blogging collaboratively soon.

Chefs make lots of mistakes.  I know because I've eaten some of them.  My husband used to be a professional chef.  In cooking school, he learned lots of tricks for hiding culinary miscalculations.  Cream soup too thin?  Try thickening it with potato.  Marinara a bit bitter?  Temper the acidity of the tomatoes with the sweetness of an onion.  The mark of a master chef, it turns out, is not never-ending perfection: it's the ability to salvage a ruined dish.

I'm working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment