Saturday, September 11, 2010

Memo to Mrs. Obama from Hannah

Mrs. Obama,

I believe that it is of utmost importance that you visit Common Good City Farm. Located in the LeDetroit Park community in DC, Common Good City Farm is an urban farm that hosts events and activities for the local residents in an effort to get them to eat healthy. The residents and volunteers cultivate the garden, providing them with fresh produce. Having recently visited, I see great values of this farm and the impact it has on the community. It encourages local residents to work and supply the fresh food they need for a healthier lifestyle.

Volunteers come on a regular basis to help out with the maintenance of the farm. I observed the cheerful attitude of the people who worked there. They are so excited about what the garden has been able to accomplish for the local community. I participated in clearing out the harvested crop and laying down clover seeds as a cover crop. I learned that cover crop is used to fertilize the soil by providing essential nutrients. I used a rake to mix the clover in the soil and planted new clover seeds. Also, I sifted through the compost so that it can be used as soil. I did this by using a shovel to carry the compost to a sifter, where it was shaken. The soil that went trough the sifter is used to sustain the crops and provide good nutrition. I had a great experience working with my group on the farm. I believe that if you come you will enjoy it as much as I have.

Sincerely,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment