Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tools of the Trade--by. Anam Mian

I found this ancient looking tool at Williams-Sonoma called Chinois Bouillon Strainer. The staff member told me that it is mainly used to make soups and various types of sauces. In addition, it helps give them an extremely smooth texture. You pour in the sauce and use the wooden handle to strain it out. To me it looked so neat and precise, I am sure you can use other kinds of new technological based tools to make smooth sauces or soups etc… However, I feel like tools that remind you of the days when technology didn’t exist, make you feel like you are actually working hard, on whatever you are trying to accomplish. There is so much beauty in it. Most of the equipment reminded me of Pakistan, the wooden handles to make garlic pieces, or smash up any other type of ingredient instead of using a food processor or some other type of easy utensil. It made me extremely happy to see that Williams- Sonoma had these kind of rich tools as well, and not just the stuff that belongs to the modern era. These kind of ancient tools are much needed in our society today, because they can help us reminisce on our history, and taste the hard work of our past.

No comments:

Post a Comment