Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tools of the Trade by Ysabelle Maramag

On the field trip at Williams-Sonoma, I discovered an automatic yogurt maker. It was a machine base with dials like a crock pot and had a clear upper half that housed seven glass jars with white plastic lids. It provides the consumer with seven 6 oz. containers of yogurt in 6-10 hours. I was curious as how this is possible. It seemed like a good investment for yogurt lovers at $50. Apparently you add milk, yogurt culture, and whatever flavoring you want in each jar and put it in the contraption. A helpful staff member told me that this automatic yogurt maker uses heat to activate the culture and produce yogurt. They also told me that the jars come with a dial on top with numbers so the production date is known for proper consumption. I noticed that the price was lower at Williams-Sonoma and it surprised me because I thought of it as a place that might milk every last dollar from the consumer. After hearing the back story on the company though, it made sense. I think this tool is really only meant for those who use yogurt often and know how they want it made. It might be a waste for those who just like yogurt because if you’re in a house by yourself, who is going to eat 35 ounces of yogurt with you. However, I thought it was a nice idea for those who are curious how food is made and it can ensure fresher ingredients and better living because it is in the makers hands. Also, I thought is gives creative freedom because a person could create any flavor that they wanted and maybe create something new and not seen or tasted before.

No comments:

Post a Comment