Friday, October 8, 2010

Chipotle

Dom and I decided to go to Chipotle instead of many other fancier restaurants because not only is this great Latin American style of food a cheap eat, but it’s also a quick eat. Depending on the day, its not only a great option for a busy schedule on parent weekend, but it is also a place to eat where we can go on a daily basis. The location is easy to get to. All we did was take the school’s shuttle to the Ballston Metro and walked two blocks towards the Ballston Mall. Upon arrival the air smells of fresh Latin spices. It is kind of strange because for me, when I smell spice my I feel like my body temperature goes up or something of that nature, because I always feel so hot! So we notice the restaurant is pretty crowded, which is always a good sign in my opinion when eating out. We then got into the line to order our meals. When we got to the front of the line we were greeted by a friendly woman with a Spanish sort of accent asking me “If I would like a burrito?” Their most signature item seemed to be the burrito, and if you are looking for a lower carb option you can opt for a Burrito Bowl, which basically takes the contents of a burrito and putting it into a bowl instead of wrapping it up. So I said yes, I would like a chicken burrito. If you peer over the counter filled with fillings, you notice that men are in the back cooking and cutting up the meats, frying the rice, chopping the tomatoes, and cooking the other toppings. So I continue down the line of things I wish to be placed in my burrito. I added in this delicious cilantro-lime rice, pinto beans, corn, the mild hot sauce, fresh cheese and sour cream. The woman then folded over my burrito, and wrapped it in aluminum foil. The wrap being put inside the foil seems to be a good choice because by the time we sat, I opened the burrito and the cheese was perfectly almost melted. As soon as I began eating, I could taste the spices and freshness of this meal. I love when chicken is fresh, because to me it has such a distinct taste. According to many of my Chipotle loving friends, they claimed that their are no freezers on site, which makes me happy because working in restaurants before, things do sit in freezers for awhile if no one is ordering them. There were also signs at the front of the store next to the menu that described what seemed to be a philosophy of Chipotle, how they are into the whole farm to table idea. None of their chicken contains hormones to help them grow. I love this idea because the food is so filling on its own, it doesn’t really need any chemical to help the food seem filling like McDonald’s uses in their hamburgers (as we learned in Supersize me). I observed a lot of people were eating the burritos, but were taking them home with them. Chipotle really gives you a good proportion size for what you pay. So if you really stuff your burrito, their is a good chance your taking some home with you. Many people also ordered chips and guacamole, which they also were taking with them. The chips seemed to be drizzled with a sort of lemon salt, and when they are used to eat the guacamole (which also tasted beyond fresh) it is a great combination. I also thought it was really bizarre how one could order a Corona at Chipotle. It gives off that Mexican type of vibe, that you can have a Corona with lime, and it will go perfectly with your meal, no matter if you get chicken or a beef product. I’ve never seen a sort of “fast food” restaurant serve alcohol so this seemed strange to me. I observed the restaurant seemed to be filled with people who seemed so satisfied with their food, because I know I certainly was!

No comments:

Post a Comment