Monday, September 13, 2010

Field Trip Reflection

The farm was an interesting oasis in the middle of DC. A change of scenery from what you usually see in the Washington Area.

The hosts of the farm were very active and excited for us to get there. Even though it was very early in the morning when we arrived the hosts were ready to have us begin working on the farm.

After some preliminary icebreaker exercises, we broke up into two groups one of those who wanted to figure out the social effects of this farm and another that wanted to actually do some work on the farm. I opted for the manual labor.

The odd jobs on the farm were interesting and sometimes I didn't know if I was pruning the tomatoe bushes precisely or if i was just butchering the whole thing.

It was a great time working hard for a non-profit organization. They seem to have a firm foundation of what they want to do for the residents of the First Ward. I enjoyed working with my peers and I applaud the hard work that the volunteers at Common Good City Farm do for the residents of Washington DC.

-Jose

2 comments:

  1. Field Trip Reflection

    My first time on any sort of farm was nothing to what I had expected. To be honest, I thought I would be put on a scene of Charlotte's Web, milking cows and seeing pigs every where. To my surprise, I found a sort of haven in the middle of the inner city for young children and people living in poverty.

    It was interesting to hear about the water collection project. It was nice to hear the stories of why the workers gave so much of their time to work at the farm. They seemed a little disappointed at how many people are not involved in the programs to give food to the inner city families. It seemed like there were problems getting the word out to people that food was available for them.

    I liked that a lot of the children come to help and give their time to the farm. It seems like a good idea to keep them out of the trouble that comes with living in the projects. It was interesting to see kids come in to the farm itself to use the bathroom too, because it showed that they volunteers weren't just talking about things that really don't happen on the farm.

    While I was watching the cooking lessons with Dom, it was interesting to see how engaged the people were in what the woman was teaching them. The turnout seemed to be good, since they didn't end up having enough chairs for people. Many people were very engaged and asking questions as well.

    My over all experience at the farm was a good one, and interesting to say the least. Coming from the suburbs, we don't get to see many farms, so it was cool to see one in the middle of a city to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memo To Mrs. Obama from Dom

    Hi Mrs. Obama, I would first off like to commend your husband on a solid term as President so far. I hope he continues to lead our great country in such a positive direction. I understand that you have started a movement to get kids to eat healthier entitled "Lets Move". I would like to commend on bringing light to such a growing problem in our country. I heard you expressed interest in going to the Common Good City Farm and I really advise that you do.

    While they are currently a very small operation, with the proper funding and exposure I believe they can really change the community they are in. Their goals as a community farm and the goals your Lets Go program have definitely go together. They are all about teaching people about the food they eat and allowing people access to healthier foods. Think about it, if all Americans had the access to a cheap organic farm that had all the same produce and vegetables that grocery stores had just a whole lot healthier; don't you think they would be more inclined to chose the cheaper organic farm. As you have stated in previous statements about the state of healthy eating, the first step is awareness. This is your chance to back up that statement and give this farm the chance to spread good to its community and hopefully to other communites just like it

    ReplyDelete