Thursday, September 16, 2010

Holiday Food Memory

Every holiday has its own memories, its own uniqueness. Yet I believe that Thanksgiving is one of my favorites: not only is the football usually good but the food is quite superb.



My mother usually takes on the brunt of the cooking with my sister assisting her in the kitchen. She pulls out all of the fine china so that our meal can be commemorated and made a tad bit more special.



The meal usually consists of a big bird, turkey, cooked to succulent perfection with the outside skins nicely browned and crisp. Every year my brother and sister each call a leg, while I will settle for any juicy slice of the turkey, which is my favorite meat. Next there comes some sort of carbohydrates, usually rice with bean and sweet potato casserole. The casserole is just sweet potatoes mashed to creamy perfection. After it is mashed into submission the sweet potatoes are topped with marshmallows then placed in the oven to brown. When we cut into them after they come out of the oven the marshmallows are nice and gooey with the outer shell having a distinct crispy texture.

These two dishes are complimented with other delicious side dishes but these two are the ones that I remember the most. These two are the dishes that make Thanksgiving such a memorable holiday for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment