Friday, September 17, 2010

Holiday Food Memory

I agree with Jose that Thanksgiving is a momorable and enjoyable holiday. It is a time for the family to gather around the table to share good food and appreciate what they have.

Thanksgiving Day begins as my mom puts the twenty three pound turkey in the oven after stuffing it with herbs and stuffing. The whole family contributes but my mom is the master chef. She creates a wonderful gravy by whisking flour with chicken broth. She makes homeade mashed potatoes by boiling the potatoes and then mashing them. Another amazing dish that she makes is creamy green bean casserole. This consists of green beans in mushroom gravy and topped with french onions. I cannot forget the sweet potato casserole which is made by baking sweet potatoes with a layer of marshmellows to give it that sweet and savory taste. Last but not least we have cooked corn and brussel sprouts. As the huge, juicy turkey comes out of the oven and these wonderful dishes are served, my family is reminded of our many blessings.

When we gather around the table to share this scrumptious food, each of us goes around the table and says what we are thankful for. A few years ago my dad came up with this idea where he wanted each of us to write a poem illustrating what we were thankful for. Looking back I remember that I had a lot to say about how I was thankful for my friends, family, and food. Thanksgiving is a time that cannot be beat because once you have partaken in the meal, you can sit and relax. We spend the rest of the day watching football and playing football out in the street. After a break we gather together again to share apple and pumpkin pies. Served with cool whip, these pies are the perfect way to end this glorious day.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you used vivid descriptions of how you viewed the food that was seated at the table.
    Do you guys still write down the poems to describe what your thankful for? And if so does it always end up sounding similar to the one years before?

    ReplyDelete