Thursday, November 11, 2010

"What's with the red oil?" (food experience)

My dearest mum in the whole entire world brought me my now officially favourite dish in the western hemisphere of Africa; Kokki with yellow plantains.

Kokki is made from a white kind of white beans that is soaked in water for half a day so the skin is peeled off easily. after that, it undergoes the wonderful process of turning from beans to puree in the grinder. Next, the wonderful red palm oil is poured into the puree along with salt, and bit of water. I loved watching the mixture go from white to deep orange. Then, it's ready to be cooked so, Mum attached then into separate plastic wrappers and aluminum foil. mum explained to me that ideally, the Kokki would have been wrapped in Banana leaves for the food to keep its full scent. Then after an hour of constant check ins and aggravated wait, it is ready!
After one bite of this (not-words-cancpossibly-do-it-honor-kind-of-dish), will be cooking this whenever I get the chance.

Mum... I love you!

1 comment:

  1. i know right, tell me about it, one of the traditional meals in my country,Cameroon, are you african?

    ReplyDelete