Sunday, September 19, 2010

Holiday Food Memory by Kamilla.

Holiday Food Memory by Kamilla.

The most memorable holiday for me is the New Year, 31 of December. In Russia Christmas is not a “country” holiday, very few families celebrate it. But New Year is our national event!
For me this day is always something special, and I simply cannot wait for it.
Usually I celebrate the beginning of the year with my family, close family friends and relatives, spend first 3 hours with them, then go to my friends and classmates, and we having fun all night long!
Now about food:
It was my favorite part: preparation for New Year, cooking dinner. We have almost the same menu every year, but dishes always taste different. I don’t know why, but I like it. It’s kind of enigma for us, how will it taste next year? I love surprises!
Usually my mother is a chef for the New Year, but my responsibility is to make a cake (and it is very serious I should say!)
We do a lot of different salads, goose with baked potatoes or chicken (I do not like goose to be true, but my mom still thinks that I absolutely adore it), and of course Cake!
Cake is like a key dish for me. I put a lot of effort to make it, decorate it with melting chocolate inscription “C Hовым Годом!” It means “Happy New Year!” It takes about 4 hours for the cake to be ready, but the result is always so amazing! And also we have a tradition to start eating it only in the morning when everybody wakes up. It is so unbelievably great to sit with your family and friends, talk about last night, drink hot tea or coffee, watch television and eat this cake. It’s like the best start of a year! I love this tradition and I really want that my own family in the future will also have it!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Christmas wasn't a country holiday in Russia. This seems like a very nice tradition that you have with your family for New Years. For the cake, do you make it from scratch or do you make it from the cake mix box?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to read your blog. I was curious to see what holidays are like in other countries. As Rabia mentioned I was also shocked that Christmas wasnt a big holiday. But your New Year's is pretty close to how we spend ours; a night of food, family, and fun!. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you!
    I always make it from scratch, because cake mix boxes are really hard to find, they are not typical for our shops.

    ReplyDelete