Sunday, September 19, 2010

Holiday Food Memory by-Sarah Naqvi

Two Turkey Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving dinners have always been the most memorable holiday food memories for me. Growing up, thanksgiving was always a big deal. When I was a child, every year the dinner would be at my aunt's house. The thanksgiving when I was 10 years old is a holiday food memory that I will never forget.

My aunt had many preparations for thanksgiving. She made sure that nothing was left out and all of the traditional dishes of thanksgiving were all present. I remember that year there was going to be more people than usual. All of my dad's side of the family, including this famous thanksgiving aunt lived nearby, but that year my mom's family was also visiting from Pakistan.

Everyone would help out in making this enormous dinner. My mom made some dishes as well as other aunts. Although, my brother and older cousins were only interested in the football game, that was also a big deal. I remember that year we had prepared two turkey's! My aunt's house was filled with people all around. One aunt would be taking something out of the oven while another aunt was putting something in.

 I’ll never forget looking at the table of food with my mouth wide open. When it was finally time to eat, everyone gathered around the table and my dad said a prayer thanking God for all of this food He has blessed us with and being together as a family. Having two turkey's was a good idea because it was just enough for everyone. At the table my dad mentioned how grateful we should be because many people around the world don't get to have thanksgiving,

I was truly thankful; everything was so good! I remember trying a little bit of everything and going back to the table to get more and more. As a kid, I loved to eat desserts so after dinner I remember being so excited to see the delicious things my aunt had made. That was the first time I tried an Afghan pastry with nuts called, Baklava and I love it to this day. I think everyone gained some weight that thanksgiving with two turkeys!

1 comment:

  1. I think it is absolutely great that your Mom's family came from Pakistan and conformed to the idea of Thanksgiving. Do you remember if they commented on the differences they felt on the food production?

    ReplyDelete