Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Holiday memory by Guillermo

Holiday food memory-Guillermo Aburto
Every year my family for Thanksgiving cooks a big dinner.  It takes longer to cook it then to eat it, especially when it comes down to my family. It rotates where the dinner will be held. Last year it was held at my house, and a lot of family members came. My uncles, aunts, and cousins were there. The night before Thanksgiving my mom placed the turkey filled with the stuffing as well as the ham inside the oven but turned the heat on low through out the whole night. My mom wakes up extra early to cook other food such as white rice containing peas and small bits of carrots. Then my family goes to church, and after church, my mom stills has a lot of work ahead of her before it is all complete. I help with what I can by pealing the potatoes and mashing them and I also boil the gravy. I do little work compared to my mom but at least I help out with what I can to make her work a little bit easier. When 5 o’clock comes around everything is pretty much done. I prepare the table and put thanksgiving ornaments, make it look nice and presentable. When we take out the turkey and ham from the oven, we place it on the dinner table it is steaming. My mom cuts the ham and turkey in slices as much as she can. The white rice with peas and carrots are in a bowl. The mash potato on a plate next to the steaming hot gravy. The bead is on the table as well as the butter. The whole family starts arriving by 6 pm and it starts getting crowded. Usually the youngest of the whole family starts the prayer, and after prayer is done we start with the salad and bread. Then the real food starts filling plates, which is the turkey, ham, rice, and mash potato.  The turkey and ham nicely sliced the fresh rice steaming, mash potato ready to be smothered with gravy. I think the food is done in a good 30 minutes, all those hours preparing takes a few minutes be devoured. Thanksgiving is very special for our family as well as Christmas but more food is to be done at Thanksgiving. There is no time to make a mistake on Thanksgiving since it takes so much time preparing.  It would be pretty hard and impossible to make another turkey in a couple hours it a mistake was made.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job talking about your Thanksgiving experience. However, I thought you could have organized it better by seperating your thoughts in paragraphs. That way it could be easier to read and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun reading about your involvement in the preparation of your Thanksgiving dinner. I loved how a guy helped to cook and set up the table, it was refreshing to hear lol. I just hope what you did went as smoothly as how you made it seem. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete