Thursday, September 23, 2010

Holiday Food Memory

This past holiday I had a somewhat offbeat Christmas. I spent the majority of the month of December in southern Australia. Considering that the continent is half way around the world, I had fled the winter wonderland of Virginia and escaped to a summer paradise for the season. I have never eaten so consistently well in my entire life - there was never a disappointing meal.

On Christmas Day as well as Eve, I was flourished in seafood of all types as well as fresh vegetables and fruits. All the exotic fish were local, picked up daily in markets. There is no such thing as a grocery store in Melbourne, Australia. Despite the lack of tradition and commonality in my 2009 holiday meals, I didn't want it any other way. If you want to appreciate good fresh food, go Down Under. We actually threw shrimp on the barbie and it was glorious. The little crustaceans had been swimming over from Tasmania only a few short hours before we scarfed them down. They went perfect with the New Zealand champagne we had. The sushi over there put America's to shame that I simply can't find the words to describe it. That was, by far, my most satisfying, mouth-watering holiday food memory. It makes me ache just thinking about it. Field trip to the Outback, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. This is a very descriptive holiday food memory. You are showing the reader what happened rather than just telling. I thought this had good word choice and it was interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very fascinating. You mentioned how the sushi in Australia put America's to shame, but really how you spent your holiday put Americans idea of a holiday to shame. I was able to visualize everything you mentioned from fresh food markets, to the crustaceans. Your blog was excellent in captivating the moment; I feel like I've been to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really cool to read. I always wanted to know how it felt to spend a big holiday in another country. Being the seafood lover that I am, I am so jealous that you got to experience such a delicious meal. Definitely putting Aussie Land as place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow we should all go down under to have a holiday feast. It sounds simply wonderful. All the fresh foods that you ate. It surely must've been better than the packaged jungle that we live in here in Northern Virginia. the only question I have is this: did you get all these foods from open-markets? Because if you did then it surely is going to be a great feast, everything fresh, never frozen.

    ReplyDelete