Saturday, September 25, 2010

Whole Foods Market- Hannah Hatcher

It was a great experience going to Whole Foods as a class field trip. My first impression as I walked in there was that the food was very colorful and fresh. I observed that the place was clean and organized. I noticed in the produce section that the fruits and vegetables were labeled either organic or nonorganic with a description of where it came from. I did not ask any questions but the employee told my class a lot about Whole Foods and what it stands for. He told us that most of the food is grown from local and organic farms. There is a process of how the produce gets there. First it is thoroughly washed and packaged from the farm and then it is shipped to Whole Foods. In each stage of transportation, the produce is washed in order to preserve it. The fish section was interesting as there was a variety. I found out that certain kinds of white fish like tuna and cod you can eat every day while others you can eat only every once in a while. When we went to the meat and dairy section, he told us that the food was processed without the use of hormones or pesticides. The animals were well taken care; the chickens were cage free and the pigs were allowed to roam. This is important because when the animals are happy in their environment they produce healthy food.

As we moved along the tour we came to the soup and salad bar. The food smelled so good I wanted to taste it for myself. Next to that were the bakery goods. These colorful foods were very pleasing to the eye. I have to admit that I was tempted to the different kinds of cakes, cupcakes, fruit tarts, and pastries. I bought a small fruit tart for my roommate as it was her birthday. I think that Whole Foods is a special grocery store because it is one of the few grocery stores that has many organic and healthy foods. It has gluten free and dairy free products as well as homeopathic remedies. Homeopathy uses natural and drug free products to help the body heal itself. My mom has used this method to treat me when I am sick and it works very well. This was not my first time going but I had a wonderful experience and I hope to go there again soon.

1 comment:

  1. I like how your blog is very clear,organized, and easy to read. You did a great job describing how the produce are shipped to Whole Foods. I agree with you that the cakes and everything was very tempting.

    ReplyDelete