Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mindful Eating--Ysabelle

Before I took this class, my views on food were pretty narrow. Reading these articles and watching these films have broadened perspective on the ingredients that go into the food that I prepare. I really want to help programs like food to table as well as doing things to help sustainability. These ideas have become important to me because I feel it is important in order to have a healthy lifestyle and it is a way to get back to better times. Food has taken an extreme downturn into the artificial and I think it is important to taste the natural state of food. Our ideas of taste and food revolve around what we give ourselves. It is crucial to have a real experience with food or else our bodies cannot operate in the manner they were meant to.
The point of view that really moved me is Edward Espe Brown’s Zen cooking. The art of Zen cooking is applicable to food and life in general. To me, this is essential because it brings a person back to what it is all about, the food. It centers a focus on one current task rather than the multitasking mania that seems to be sweeping the nation. A focus on food and on the Zen teachings brings a peaceful chef and peaceful food. It promotes a focus and an art form that can pervade all aspects of life and that is something I find pure and very natural. This is important because it brings a person back to reality rather than modern day distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment